Sunday, September 13, 2009

EXODUS!

Day two of my YWAM experience began so amazingly. With the time change and all I ended up waking up at 5:13 this morning, laying in bed, unable to fall back to sleep. Okay, so that doesn't sound amazing at all but the amazing part came after. While I wondered what I was going to do at that hour I suddenly felt the urge to read Ephesians 5:13. I don't know exactly why, but I felt like the Spirit was leading me to do so. I fumbled around in the darkness as quietly as I could and found my bible and notebook, deciding to read that verse and start the day with a quiet time with the Lord.

I opened up my bible and began to read from verse 13 to the end of the chapter and I couldn't believe how perfectly it fit the starting of a DTS. It says the following

Ephesians 5:13-21

But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is the light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said, "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every oppertunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

I feel like the Lord really wants me to understand, that to truely walk in the Light of Christ and therefore to shine for Him, I have to wake up out of any spiritual ruts I've let myself fall into. He wants me to consider all my words and actions and make the most of every oppertunity to share the gospel with others, He wants me to seek His will in all things, He wants me to pursue Him that I might be filled with His holy presence. He wants me to use my gift of music, and to do it always for His honor and glory, and He wants me to submit myself to the service of others, becuase that is what Christ himself did.

I finished reading and just sat for a while taking it all in. I know God is going to do some amazing things and He's going to test me and stretch me in ways that will sometimes be painful and difficult, but they will bring me closer to being the person He wants me to be. A person more like Christ. That is the prayer of my heart and I can't wait to see Him move.

And so, that journey begins at 6 am tomorrow morning...

Tonight was the opening ceremony for the Fall 09 DTS. Everyone dressed up nice and was brought to a church in Paia. We walked in the doors and were waiting outside of a second set of doors that led to a fellowship area. Suddenly those doors were opened and all of the students were welcomed in by cheers and applause from all of the YWAM maui staff members! It was an incredible and overwhelming feeling, it was a feeling of celebration! After a few words from the YWAM maui base leader, the SBFM leader [my cousin Trevor Hilman] and a word from Ben, the Fall 09 DTS leader, we were all introduced and brought to the front to recieve a beautiful le'i of yellow flowers.

After the introductions there was an announcment for the SBFM people about what they would be doing tomorrow. Then came the announcment for us DTSers! We were told that we would be doing what is called an "Exodus". We were each given a very short list of items which we had to pack. They included the following: 3 pairs of underwear, 1 pair of socks, one shirt, one pair of shorts, one pair of pants, a pair of tennis shoes, a pair of sandals and a sweatshirt. A camera, a hat, contacts and eyeglasses, a sleeping bag, a bible, a notebook, and a pen. No toothbrush, no shampoo, no phones, or ipods, or makeup. Now we're all wondering what exodus includes, and well, thats just it. WE HAVE NO IDEA! All we know is that we will be in the woods without showers, toilets, or electricity and we'll be there for... who knows how long? It will be at least three days, most likely more. So, we're heading out tomorrow morning into the great unknown that is Exodus.

I'll give an update when we return [whenever that is] and fill you in on what I've been up to, but as for now I just don't know! I can't wait! It sounds absolutely amazing and I know by the end we'll all be smellier, dirtier, and grungier than we've ever been. But I also know that this is going to be an amazing time of growth and change for everyone! So, here I go... more later!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Chelsey, I just read all of your blogs from the first to the lastest! I can't stop crying (and i'm not really a 'weeper')! but what an amazing adventure you and God are on. you are so beautiful and open and caring...i'm excited to pray you thru this next 6 months! It just touches me what is happening in the body of Christ and how He is pouring life into us. and we ARE waking up to HIM!!...and His deep, deep love for us! love ya, girl!! Deby

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww! thank you so much deby and thank you so much for your prayers! they mean the world to me! and YES! i am on the adventure of a lifetime! even in the last few days he has been working in me and really challenging me in my walk! its awesome! i cant wait to see what the next six months hold! a lot of change a lot of stretching and growing and a lot of amazing times im sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chelsey,

    I read your blogs, and they were so inspiring. I want you to know that I will be praying for you. It's just such a blessing to see a young girl like you dedicate yourself to full time ministry for the Lord.

    I talked to you about our Grand Daughter before you left. I have talked to her about you, too. I sent her a link to your blog. Her name is Meredith Barr, and she will be getting in contact with you. She too, feels a special calling to Missions Work, and is planning to go back to England for 6 months to a year, after she graduates in May. The two of you remind me so much of each other with such a heart for God, and the excitement you both have for Missions. She is looking forward to getting to know you. I just know the two of you will enjoy keeping in touch.

    With love and prayers, Betty Barr

    ReplyDelete